Saturday 15 February 2014

Moving the goal posts

I guess one of my major frustrations is that every time I think I have things even remotely sorted out everything seems to change. Just when I think I've got a plan it falls to pieces. It's really frustrating. I feel like the universe keeps moving the goal posts without consulting me first, that I'm aiming at a moving target that keeps changing the rules on me. I hate that feeling. Let me explain.
So remember my telling you all about the math evaluation? I'd just gotten my head around that, started thinking about ways to sort it out. The universe had other plans, the course advisor rang on friday (2 days before the classes are due to start) and told us the course we'd enrolled in was cancelled due to a lack of enrolments........I seriously wondered if I was a part of a weird reality TV show I was unaware of at this point........because seriously? My sister went into serious meltdown mode TM and made everyone even more miserable. I was just left reeling, this course isn't offered in many places so to attend another uni we'd have to move out of state-which I don't feel able to do on my own right now and my sister isn't interested in doing. So serious road block. At the same time I got word back from the Canadian uni's I'd emailed about joint recognition of the degree with some interesting info: to complete the 12 week practicum you have to be a permanent Canadian resident....which makes very little sense really, as the profession is on their skills shortage list. Hm. The lady at the uni was nice and advised if I wanted to work in Canada I'd need to transfer after 2 years in Aus into a Canadian uni and complete 2 years there. Which sounds nice in theory but impractical in practice: it's really expensive as a foreign student (about 30,000 a year I think) and they have pretty strict admissions, even an average student would appear unlikely to get in. Of course often what is in print and what is reality are 3 different things. All a moot point now it would seem in any case.
So now I'm desperately going over all my other options as every course deadline seems to be within a week and I have no idea what to do. My sister think maybe she's found a different degree she can do which is good for her, I so far haven't found any but the original one I was thinking of doing: basically a 3 year undergrad in nutrition and then a 1 1/2 year masters in dietetics, by the time I've done the math catch up this will spread to about 5 years total. If I was 20? I wouldn't think twice, but I'm not, I'm soon to be 27 and if I spend 5 years at school where I figure I'm unlikely to meet anyone much (reason 1: they are all too young for me, reason 2: 99% of people in this particular field are female, reason 3: in the same area I've always been in, feel uncomfortable trying online dating here) I'll be getting past the 'I still have time' stage and into the 'seriously if you want a family, panic now!' stage. Also if I take this path I'll basically graduate and then have to leave on my work visa straight away: apply for a work visa before 31st birthday and then have one year to activate, the end of that one year will be just after graduation.....if all goes to plan...if not the plan is totally blown out of the water and there's no way of getting a visa apart from a student one. But really I don't have another plan, I don't know what to do.
I've thought of starting the course whilst hopefully working on my anxiety and then taking 2 years off whenever I feel able to travel whilst the visa is still available, I've thought of taking all the units that are available that coincide with the cancelled degree and then trying to transfer over to Canada, I'd be missing some degree specific units but have all the general ones (like chem, bio, food science) so maybe that would work? I've thought of starting the nutrition degree here doing the general units and hoping I'll feel confident to transfer out of the nutrition degree and into the other out of state one. I've thought of completing the 5 years and then enrolling in, say, a 12 month pottery course in Canada to get the student visa (you can stay on the same amount of time after you studied), working as a dietician and then applying for an experience class visa.
I'm just going in circles as I can't seem to find a suitable solution that doesn't cut me off in the future somehow. It's got me in a bit of a funk, I just can't see a good way to do what I really want.
To all those people out there who fell into an overseas job or whose company have overseas offices or who meet someone, fell in love and moved overseas-I really hope you're enjoying it! Send some good luck vibes my way please, I really could use them.
Vanessa

8 comments:

  1. That sounds complicated, but it sounds like you're doing a good job of figuring out what's involved with all of the different possible paths. Sending you good luck vibes! My wife is from the USA but moved here for a job and then met me here when she was 32, so it does happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! Feel so confused :(
      Thanks!
      Yes but your wife (I can tell) is smart and beautiful............and I'm me. I am curious: how would you have felt if she'd never had a boyfriend before you? Would it have given you any doubts?
      Vanessa

      Delete
  2. If she'd never had a boyfriend before me, it wouldn't have stopped me from going on a date with her, and then after that it's all just about seeing how it goes between the two people anyway. I didn't start dating her with preconceived ideas that she had to be a certain way - I just took it one date at a time and we found that we liked each other.

    Also, don't forget that I was a relatively late starter myself - most of my "firsts" happened when I was 23/24/25, so I'd be hypocritical to pre-judge someone else for something like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hopefully there are plenty more nice guys like you out there! :)
      Vanessa

      Delete
  3. I want some of those vibes too. Trust me I know what it feels like to have all your plans come crashing down. I really hope are you are able to figure something out soon and things go your way. I am still finding ways to get out of the country but it's so hard. If I figure something out, especially with canada, I'll let you know.
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.
      I'm still hoping you get to work overseas-I know how much you want to! Sending good luck your way. And yes do let me know, Canada or not :)
      Vanessa

      Delete
  4. Decisions, decisions. I know the age thing is really bothering you. People get their degrees at all ages (Maybe this is more common in the States?). Once it's all done, you'll be hopefully happy with the career path you've chosen and glad that you didn't wait even longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah and I suck at making them! No people do get degrees at all ages-it's not so much that as running out of time to get work visas, you can still travel after 31 obviously ;) but it's much much harder to stay anywhere for more than a few months or to work at all. I just feel like I have a bit of a ticking clock in front of me and it's freaking me out a bit!
      Vanessa

      Delete