Monday 1 July 2013

Differing perspectives

I've thought quiet a bit over my last post and I'd like to add a different perspective:
On my trip to Russia (with my mum in tow) I was part of a group of 10, varying ages (mostly 50+) and most traveling solo (but married, only solo because their spouse didn't want to go). I had no trouble with them and it's probably the most social I've ever felt as in I wanted to go with them and was a bit disappointed when mum was too tired or wanted to see something else. We went out to dinner together independently of the tour and it was fun. Now for the interesting perspective, one of the group was a psychologist (councils troubled kids) and she asked me what I did/wanted to do, I told her I'd love to trip around Canada for a year or 2, maybe even go to school there. And here's the surprising part. She said she thought I'd do well, that I was 'calm, cool and I'd make friends easily'. Heh. I didn't correct her, but obviously I can put up a good enough front when needed, if only I could do it all the time. But it's made me think, I live in a small rural community, here I'm always going to be 'weird' but if I moved to a bigger place I'd have no stigma and maybe I could make friends? It's food for thought anyhow.
Vanessa

2 comments:

  1. This post reminds me of the song "Boston" by Augustana. I think being in a new environment, away from anything familiar, around a new group of people, is the perfect opportunity to re-invent yourself. Being around what comforts us also keeps us from being daring and taking chances because people have come to expect us to act a certain way. I dream of running away someday, away from myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. I often feel like a prisoner of my own making :(
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete